My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

AN INVITATION TO MY READERS

I was idly channel surfing yesterday when I stumbled on Pride and Prejudice. Since it was a commercial break, I hit the Info button on the remote to see which version it was -- my favorite is the recent remake with Keira Knightly. The one line plot summary was "A man begins a convoluted relationship with a woman." That struck me as such a hilarious capsule characterization of the novel that I decided to see whether I could come up with some others. Then it occurred to me to issue a challenge to my readers to post their efforts as comments to this blog post.

Here are my first tries:

The Odyssey -- Married man goes off to war and takes a long time getting home.

Don Quixote -- Aging bachelor has issues with wind farms.

Hamlet -- Young man gets girl, think he loses girl, takes it hard.

OK. Now it is your turn.

5 comments:

ajrosa said...

Crime and Punishment: Country boy goes to the big city, falls on hard time, kills his landlady, and discovers himself

Unknown said...

maybe opera is too simple. Turandot: frigid Chinese princess warms to ambitious prince, after his slave has killed herself for his love in full view.

Eoin said...

Critique of Pure Reason: Some things can be demonstrated without relying on sensory experience.

NotHobbes said...

Precious Bane by Mary Webb: Gideon`s guide to aspiring Conservatives

NotHobbes said...

Codex Gigas: Margaret Thatcher, illustrated