My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

MEMOIR

Long time readers of this blog will recall that last June, I posted five chapters of a memoir that I wrote in November of 2003. The memoir, prompted by the prospect of my seventieth birthday, covers the first twenty-seven years of my life, and is titled A Harvard Education: A Memoir of the Fifties. The actual memoir, written in four weeks and running abut 300 pages, has six chapters, but for some mysterious reason only the first five chapters seem to have been posted. Now there has been a thundering call for the memoir to be continued. [O.K. So one person said he would enjoy seeing it.] Inasmuch as I originally projected a three volume work, bringing things up to the present, I am now wondering whether I ought to go back to writing my memoirs. Once I return to Chapel Hill, I can call the OIT help desk at UMass and find out once again how to post lengthy documents on the server they maintain.

F0r those who are curious, the links to the first five chapters can all be found in the post I wrote on June 28, 2009. I would really like to know whether anyone other than that one very kind person has any interest in hearing about my experiences at the University of Chicago, Columbia, and UMass. My founding and management of University Scholarships for South African Students has already been posted on early entries of this blog.

7 comments:

NotHobbes said...

The first five chapters were highly entertaining, I do so look forward to the next instalment.

Nelson Goodman said...

I'd be extremely interested - haven't yet read the first five chapters, but the autobiographical bits in the preface to the later edition of In Defense of Anarchism were terrific.

Robert Paul Wolff said...

Well, that settles it. When I get home, I will start writing volume two. I will also revise chapter six of volume I and put it up on line. I have a lot of stories to tell! And I will name names.

Unknown said...

Since this period includes the Columbia strike of 1968, it is all the more important to have this statement from one who was directly involved and supportive of the students....IMHO.

...as if anything else mattered in your very distinguished career....! :-)

Robert Paul Wolff said...

Thank you Ann. Good to hear from you. That was an extraordinary time, and I have a lot of great stories about it, all of which will be in the memoir. The Chinese have a curse, "May you live in interesting times." But I think it was a blessing to have the good fortune to be there then. In many ways, it shaped the rest of my life. It was, indirectly, one of the reasons I chose to leave a senior professorship at an Ivy League university.

Andrew N. Carpenter said...

Yes, I'd love to read more -- I've read the first two chapters so far, and I have enjoyed them very much,

Unknown said...

You have certainly lived in interesting times, and our great fortune is that you have perfect recall of every moment of it....

These events shaped our lives too, and it is very important to come to terms with that....even now....or especially now.