My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Saturday, April 3, 2010

I SWORE I WOULD NEVER DO THIS

I am going to do something I swore I would never do: quote Thomas Friedman favorably. Feel free to heap abuse on my head.

All of us have watched the unedifying spectacle of Karzai delivering an anti-American rant, and then, when called on it by Hillary Clinton, saying that he was misinterpreted and only criticizing Western media. This is the man to whom Obama has mortgaged his presidency. I have already, long since, said what I think about that decision.

Anyway, a propos something else, Friedman said [I paraphrase], With regard to leaders in the Middle East, pay no attention to what they say to you in English. All that matters is what they will say to their own people in their own language.

Give the twerp his due. When he is right, he is right. Karzai said those things to Afghans in their language. What he says to Clinton or Obama in English is irrelevant. I do hope, for once, that the White House is listening to Friedman.

5 comments:

Robert Paul Wolff said...

Oh well, here we go again. It probably says, "Success will follow you all the days of your life."

NotHobbes said...

Just copied and pasted his/her post into my browser. Phew! They`re going on for being The most prolific serial spammer in the short lived history of the net.
If you have a well read blog, this guy, lady are on it!
It just shows your worldwide popularity Professor; bet they leave nonentities alone


Price of fame you have to pay
;-)

Unknown said...

Have you tried Google translate? I just did but the response was Not Available,Try Later.

Robert Paul Wolff said...

I have in fact used Google Translate for the earlier Chinese posts. I just decided it wasn't worth the effort. Wouldn't it be great if someone, anyone, in China qwere actually reading the blog?

Anonymous said...

There are many instances of Chinese mistranslation in signs rendered in English in mainland China. Some are actually funny and some are quite bawdy. Here's a wikipedia link to some odd ones, I can't find the ones that use the F word and similar "bad" words and the like which James Fallows had a link to some time back on his blog at the Atlantic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinglish#Examples_of_Chinglish_on_signs