My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 25, 2014

THE LUNCH BOX

You would think that a man who has a doctorate in philosophy from Harvard and has published twenty-one erudite books on a wide variety of arcane subjects would not have to be dragged kicking and screaming to a good film, but the simple truth is that were it not for the minatory guidance of my wife, I might never get beyond the latest version of Mission Impossible and re-runs of Arnold Schwarzenegger movies.

Earlier today, at Susie's insistence, we went to see the quiet, lovely, thoughtful, touching Indian film, The Lunch Box.  I shan't try to review it for you.  Suffice it to say that it repays a visit to your local small indi/art film theater.  As has happened so often before, I was glad Susie had persevered.  But I rather suspect I will not learn from the experience.  The next time a quality movie comes along, I will resist, look for an action film showing at the same time in a neighboring cineplex, and finally go along grumpily and grudgingly, only to be surprised once again that quality can actually be enjoyable.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Funny coincidence. I saw the same film last night. I agree with your "review." Highly recommendable.