My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Friday, April 15, 2016

HOW DO THEY DO IT?

Right after last night's Brooklyn Clinton/Sanders debate, Bernie and Jane Sanders hopped a plane to Rome so that Bernie could address a Vatican conference.  I think they return tonight.  How on earth do they do it?  How does anyone survive the rigors of a presidential campaign?  Forty years ago, when I was in my forties, I cobbled together three speaking invitations and went on a mini-speaking "tour" -- three cities in three days.  When I got home, I was totaled for a week.  I know Bernie is a man of the people and all that, but I hope the campaign popped for Business Class so he could get some sleep.

By the way, Clinton showed herself last night to be an awful campaigner.  What is it with those Goldman Sachs speech transcripts?  She is not stupid.  There must be something rather unsavory in them after all if she is so resistant to releasing them.  I leave it to others to speculate.

And yes, S. Wallerstein, Krugman is forcing me to reconsider my judgment that he is, under it all, an actual person.  

3 comments:

Chris said...

I think that was the best debate thus far. Bernie has really mastered the craft, and revealed all the nefarious elements of Clinton's candidacy.

s. wallerstein said...

Fame, applause, power, the sense that you can change the world and that it's up to you are strong stimulants.

I find that what saps my energy are all the little practical details that Bernie by now does not have to pay any attention to: what the weather is like in Rome now and should I pack my cotton or wool socks? how do you say "dental floss" in Italian and where's a drugstore because I forgot my dental floss? should I take a taxi at the airport and maybe I should take a look at a city map so that the taxi can't take me by a long route and rip me off, etc., etc.

Bernie, unlike you and me, can concentrate all his energy on his chief project, the election, while even when we're at home, we have to be worrying all the time about whether we forgot to pay the phone bill or whether there's enough
yogurt in the refrigerator.

Brian W. Ogilvie said...

In addition to what S. Wallerstein notes, I can comment from personal experience: when I do overseas trips of 2-3 days, I strive as much as possible to stay on my "home" time zone hours. That might mean odd meal times, and the occasional experience of feeling as if I have risen at 4 am for a meeting, but for a short trip, it's often manageable, even for someone without the resources of a Presidential campaign behind him.